The Day After
On this emergipod we are discussing what nonprofits can do and say when we do not yet have consensus on a winner of the Presidential election.
Our attorneys for this episode:
501(c)(3) public charities and private foundations could engage in the following activities during this period after election day and before we have consensus who will win an election:
- Encourage the public to check their ballot status
- Encourage the public to cure their challenged absentee or provisional ballot
- Discuss the importance of counting every ballot, ensure
- Demand fidelity to the facts
- Rebuke disinformation
- Correct the record or falsehoods around election results
- Request social media platforms flag disinformation posts
- Educate the public on the timelines and deadlines of certifying the vote totals
- Initiate or intervene in litigation
- Do only those activities that further your organization’s mission
- Ensure your activities remain “nonpartisan”
- Share your organization’s voter outreach
We would note that checking ballot status and curing challenged or provisional ballots may not be available in every state.
We at Bolder Advocacy congratulate the nonprofits and organizations that engaged in voter outreach and mobilization that lead to record-breaking voter turnout for the last century. We’ll be back when we have more to share.
- Bolder Advocacys TA hotline: 866-NP-LOBBY
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our website is bolderadvocacy.org