Advocacy by 501(c)(4)s – Part 1
On this episode, we walk through the ins and outs on why you’d want to form a 501(c)(4) to get things done as a nonprofit advocate. Because (c)(4)s are effectively the multi-tool of nonprofits, they can do a lot more than you might even think. But is it the right choice for your needs?
Our Hosts for This Episode:
- What is a 501(c)(4)?
- How to figure out if a nonprofit is a (c)(4)
- Why would you want a (c)(4)?
- Benefits of a (c)(4)
- Downsides/Costs of a (c)(4)
- Should I Form One?
Why create a 501(c)(4)?
- 501(c)(4) Strategy and Discussion Guide
- Considering Starting a 501(c)4? Case Studies
- Primer on Social Welfare Organizations: Using 501(c)(4) Organizations for Good
- Power of Collaboration
- Starting a 501(c)(4) organization
How to operate a 501(c)(4)
Comparison of 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) permissible activities
- Accountability Advocacy: How 501(c)(4)s Can Hold Elected Officials Accountable for Their Actions
- Why (c)(3)s and (c)(4)s need to work collaboratively
- Sample Timesheets
- Sample Cost Allocation Agreement
- Life Cycle of a Social Welfare Organization | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)