2021 Nonprofit Advocacy Successes
On this episode, we’ll take time to reflect on what was a very exciting year for nonprofit advocates. Across the United States, nonprofits organized, formed coalitions, and mobilized communities to advance the goals of equity, justice, and equal rights for all. This episode will highlight some of their success stories and set a celebratory stage for the new year to come.
Our Hosts for This Episode:
- In 2021, nonprofit members of California’s Health4All Coalition successfully shepherded in the passage of “Health for All Seniors.”
- In September, a nonprofit coalition and several community activists convinced the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors to begin the process of phasing out oil drilling in unincorporated L.A. County.
- AFJ/BA helped NPs pass a bill to prevent police from blocking journalists covering protests and demonstrations.
- Nonprofits across the state joined forces to successfully advocate for legislation that expands postpartum Medicaid coverage to six months (instead of two). The organizations plan to continue the fight in 2022 expand the law even further.
- NEW YORK
- Advocates at the New York Transgender Advocacy Group and their coalition partners scored a big win by convincing lawmakers to repeal a law that prohibited loitering for the purpose of engaging in prostitution.
- Just a few days ago, the New York City Council approved a massive expansion of voting rights, which will allow non-citizen residents to vote in municipal elections.
- OTHER ADVOCACY SUCCESS
- In June, nonprofit advocates in Vermont celebrated when the Governor signed into law a bill that expands voting rights by requiring that all registered voters in the state receive mail-in ballots. That same month saw a similar win in Nevada.
- The Women’s Foundation of Colorado threw its support behind several successful bills.
- Record number of federal judges have been confirmed, rebalancing the judiciary to more properly reflect the diversity of our country.
- Public Charities Can Lobby
- Being a Player: A Guide to the IRS Lobbying Regulations for Advocacy Charities
- Bolder Advocacy’s TA hotline: online form or 866-NP-LOBBY
- Email us at [email protected]