Ask Us Anything
On this episode, we turn to your questions on nonprofit advocacy with another edition of Ask Us Anything. We’ll discuss how nonprofits can speak up about the actions of elected officials, conduct voter engagement activities, and secure funding for lobbying. We’ll also consider the power of the purse strings, policy advocacy and much, much more.
Our Attorneys for This Episode:
- What can nonprofits do about elected officials sending migrants to another state?
- Is it a good idea to boycott travel to/doing business in State X because of their anti-LBGTQIA legislative actions?
- What rules do we need to be thinking about if our 501(c)(3) wants to conduct voter engagement activities?
- Can the 501(h) election apply retroactively to another fiscal year?
- Public Charities are allowed to lobby, but should they ask donors to donate specifically for the purpose of influencing legislation (e.g. the budget, nominations requiring legislative confirmation, bills, etc.)?
- Our public charity was invited to apply for a project grant from a private foundation, but they are asking us for an allocated budget… what does that mean?
- Project Grant Rule Hub
- Nonprofit Voter Assistance Series (Practical Guidance)
- Praising and Criticizing Incumbents: How 501(c)(3)s Can Hold Elected Officials Accountable for Official Actions (Factsheet)
- Bolder Advocacy’s TA hotline: 866-NP-LOBBY
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our website is bolderadvocacy.org