What Nonprofits Need to Know About Lobbying in Your State
Might State and Local Lobbying Laws Apply to Your Nonprofit Organization’s Work?
YES! Many groups are surprised how different state and local lobbying laws are from the IRS’s rules related to lobbying, and the kinds of activities that get captured by state and local lobbying rules.
Bolder Advocacy’s Practical Guidance – What Nonprofits Need to Know About Lobbying state law resource series is designed to help nonprofits determine if lobbying rules in their state might apply to their state or local work, and if they do, how best to navigate them!
Each Guide Includes:
- Summary of lobbyist registration and reporting triggers in the state
- Key critical takeaways for nonprofit organizations
- FAQs – giving practical perspective on how to interact with the state rules
- Case study for a hypothetical small student voting rights organization
- List of helpful additional resources
Who are these Guides For?
- Nonprofit Advocacy Organizations: Leaders and staff of nonprofit organizations that work on (or are thinking about working on) advocacy initiatives at the state or local level
- Lawyers: Lawyers and compliance professionals interested in working with nonprofit advocacy organizations doing state and local level work
- Funders: Funding organizations working to ensure strong organizational capacity and infrastructure for the groups they fund doing advocacy work at the state and local level
SIX New States
More states coming soon!
For the latest in nonprofit and foundation news, available resources and upcoming workshops, sign up for our advocacy digest. Sign Up
Ask An Expert
Give us a ring or send us a note - our coaches are here to answer your questions on advocacy. Ask a Question