Voter Engagement Messaging and Activities for Private Foundations
Election season offers tremendous opportunities for private foundations to use their influence and networks to encourage active participation by all eligible voters. While the IRS does restrict private foundation from engaging in some activities, these restrictions only apply to lobbying, partisan activity (campaign intervention), and earmarking funds for voter registration drives. Bolder Advocacy released Quick Guide: Voter Engagement Messaging and Activities for Private Foundations, to provide an overview of the rules that apply to private foundation activities in an election year.
In addition, Bolder Advocacy created a 2020 Civic Engagement and GOTV: A Social Media Action Plan for Private Foundations, which is designed to make it easy for private foundations to use their own social media accounts to safely engage in the 2020 election cycle.
- September 22: National Voter Registration Day
- September 29: First presidential debate, Cleveland, OH, Case Western Reserve University
- October 5-9: National Voter Education Week
- October 7: Vice presidential debate, Salt Lake City, UT, University of Utah
- October 15: Second presidential debate, Miami, FL, Adrienne Arsht Center
- October 22: Third presidential debate, Nashville, TN, Belmont University
- November 3: Election Day*
* Check your jurisdiction to see if you have access to early voting. If so, we encourage you to vote early.
Still unsure what to post on social media? Bolder Advocacy has put together a file of 501(c)(3) approved social media graphics for your use! Download the file to find a variety of animated and non-animated graphics, with or without our logo, that cover safe election topics.
Quick Guide: Voter Engagement Messaging and Activities for Private Foundations
pdf (137.39 KB)
2020 Civic Engagement and GOTV: A Social Media Action Plan for Private Foundations
pdf (146.03 KB)
Social Media Graphics
zip (21.35 MB)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.